I was both delighted and enlightened by reading the paper of Raj Persaud, M.D. and Peter Bruggen, M.D., “The Psychology of David Bowie’s Major Tom.” It appears in Physics Today, and appears here. It asks the central question, “Is space flight a new religion?” I certainly think so and the authors quote my recent paper to make their case: “Escaping Earth: Human Spaceflight as Religion.” Astropolitics: The International Journal of Space Politics & Policy 11:1-2 (2013): 45-64. DOI: 10.1080/14777622.2013.801720. It is available on-line here.
- Are There No Great Movies about the American Revolution?
- Wednesday’s Book Review: “Beyond the Sixth Game”
- Sacred Space, Chosen-ness, and Perspectives on the American Past
- Cassini Arrives at Saturn: Happy Anniversary!
- Wednesday’s Book Review: “A Tragic Legacy: How a Good vs. Evil Mentality Destroyed the Bush Presidency”
- While not a great film, I enjoyed rewatching "The Pride of St. Louis" (1952) about Dizzy Dean. #Cardinals #STLCards imdb.com/title/tt004504… 2 days ago
- Very cool. twitter.com/historylvrsclu… 2 days ago
- Some light summer reading. I'll be writing reviews of these in the coming weeks. Stay tuned. https://t.co/onZgne7LCu 2 days ago
- Happy Moon landing day. 48 Years ago, astronauts first set foot on the Moon. The world paused, if only briefly,... fb.me/8UAGldUCI 2 days ago
- Happy Moon landing day. 48 Years ago, astronauts first set foot on the Moon. The world paused, if only briefly, to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago